Choosing the wrong mattress to sleep on can have a negative impact on health, one of which is back pain. So how do you choose a mattress that is good for health? Read more in the explanation below!
Tips for Choosing a Good Mattress for Health
Sleep is necessary to keep body functions running properly. Therefore choosing the right mattress is something that is important to maintain the quality of sleep. For this reason, it is also important to choose a good and comfortable mattress for sleeping, especially for those who suffer from back or neck pain.
Here are tips for choosing a good mattress, including:
1. Follow doctor’s advice
If you have back or neck pain, talk to your doctor or physical therapist about what is recommended.
The mattress you choose should support your neck and lower back to stay in a neutral position. This is useful for supporting good spinal alignment.
While your doctor is not an expert in determining the right mattress, he or she knows your medical history and may have good advice on the reasons.
2. Recognize the type of mattress
The most important tips for choosing a mattress is to get used to recognizing the type of mattress. Each mattress model on the market today has a different design, but consider the advantages and disadvantages of each according to your needs.
The following are the most common types of mattresses, including:
- Spring bed ( innerspring ) . This is a type of mattress that is relatively cheap. The spring bed is made of an array of steel springs, either in one continuous roll or a single roll wrapped in cloth. A thin layer of cushion rests on top of the steel springs that serve to support the body.
- Memory foam . This foam mattress is designed to conform to the shape of the body, which can help relieve pain and pressure. However, foam mattresses absorb heat which makes it uncomfortable for people to sleep. If you choose this type of mattress, tips on choosing a good mattress are very important for you.
- Latex mattress . Most latex mattresses have comfort, transition, and a base layer made of natural material or latex which gets denser and firmer from top to bottom. Despite having a layer of foam, these mattresses tend to be cooler.
- Hybrid mattress . A type of mattress that combines memory foam and latex on an innerspring mattress. This type usually aims to provide softness and support the body comfortably.
The average mattress lasts for seven to eight years. Most mattress materials will break down over time, resulting in an uneven surface with permanent indentations.
If you sleep with your partner, a lump may form across the middle of the mattress after years of use.
Latex and high-density foam are more resistant to wear than other comfort lining materials, and some mattresses have parts that can be replaced as needed.
4. Adjust the ideal sleeping position
Most people have a unique way of sleeping each night. It doesn’t matter if you sleep on your side, on your stomach, or on your back, or even if you move throughout the night. So, you have to choose a mattress with tips to take into account the sleeping position.
The reason is, your favorite sleeping position will determine the ideal firmness of your bed.
5. Avoid possible allergies
It’s not the dust mites themselves that make people allergic, but their droppings that can cause itchy eyes, rashes, and difficulty breathing. Other causes include mold, mildew, pet dander, dust, and pollen.
All of these things build up over time, so the longer you’re in bed, the higher your chances of having an allergic reaction. Therefore, choose the type of mattress that is resistant to allergens such as latex mattresses.
6. Mattress comfort
Comfort or firmness of the mattress should be considered in order to sleep more soundly. While mattress comfort varies from person to person, some people find a softer mattress more comfortable, while others prefer a firmer model.
Most people need a balance of softness and firmness of the mattress in order to sleep comfortably. Therefore, comfort depends on one’s taste.
7. Suitability for sex
The choice of mattress type for sex varies from person to person, but many consider that a mattress that is not stable and does not bend too much inward to be the best mattress for sex.
The edge of the mattress support and ease of movement are directly related to how suitable the mattress is for sexual activity. The same goes for temperature control, especially for those of you who tend to overheat in bed.
8. Pay attention to the price of the mattress
Determining the budget for buying a new mattress is important. Beds are available in various price ranges, so you should find a mattress you like at an affordable price.
Characteristics of Mattresses that are Not Good for Health
Here are some characteristics that you can identify which mattresses are not good to use, including:
- Difficulty sleeping . If you’re not comfortable in bed, it’s harder to fall asleep right away.
- Wake up tired . Your old mattress can cause certain conditions such as sleep apnea or other breathing problems that interfere with sleep quality.
- Decreased sex drive . This is a sure sign that you are not getting enough sleep.
- Shortness of breath or stuffy nose when you wake up . Waking up short of breath or a stuffy nose are common symptoms of a dust mite attack.
- Dull skin or starting to break out . Lack of quality sleep can increase stress hormones, which can lead to acne, loss of skin elasticity, and even wrinkles.
Well , those are tips for choosing a mattress that can be your consideration. Hopefully this information can be useful to you, Healthy Friends.